Dan’s famous gretchen-wants-to-marry-this Chocolate Pudding
Our friend from Philly, Dan, came over last week and made this outstanding bittersweet chocolate pudding that will make your wife want to leave you for chocolate. Recommended for anything from parties to apologies to simply celebrating the good times.
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 1/2 cups whole milk
- 12 ounces grated semi sweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- In a large bowl whisk cocoa powder, flour, and sugar. Gradually whisk in just enough of the milk to form a paste, then slowly whisk in the remaining milk. Transfer to a large sauce pan and slowly bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.
- Remove from the heat, add the chocolate, vanilla, and cinnamon, and stir to blend and to melt the chocolate. Pour the pudding into ten 6-ounce ramekins. Allow to cool, then cover and refrigerate until cold.
- Sprinkle the puddings with toasted pine nuts, and serve. (Optional – we didn’t do this.)
One thing that’s critical here is that the service size feels a little large for one person. Use either large shotglasses or small ramekins to serve.